The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers multi-purpose dams are the largest producer of hydropower in the United States, and one of the largest in the world. The Corps’ hydropower plants provide 100 billion kilowatt-hours annually, enough power to serve more than 10 million households. Operating 353 units at its 75 hydropower plants the Corps dams and reservoirs produce one-fourth of the nation's hydroelectric power. One of four Power Marketing Administrations in the United States markets the power produced from these plants at average annual revenues of $142 million to the U.S. Treasury.
Tulsa District operates and maintains 8 hydroelectric power plants, containing a total of 22 units with a generating capacity of 584 megawatts. Seven of the plants are located within eastern Oklahoma with one located just across the border in Texas. These plants benefit approximately 2 million end users throughout Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas and Louisiana.
History of Tulsa District’s Hydropower Projects
Lake Texoma (Denison Dam): Construction began in August 1939 and was completed in February 1944. The first hydroelectric turbine was placed on line in March 1945 and the second in September 1949.
Tenkiller Ferry Lake: Construction began in June 1947 and completed for full operation in July 1953. Installation of the two hydropower units was completed in December 1953, and power generation was initiated.
Ft. Gibson Lake: Construction began in 1942, was suspended during World War II, and resumed in May 1946. The project became fully operational when the last of four generators started producing commercial power in September 1953.
Eufaula Lake: Construction began in December 1956 and completed for full operation on February 10, 1964. Power was first generated in July 1964 and the last of the three generators started producing power in September 1964.
Keystone Lake: Construction began in January 1957 and completed for full operation in September 1964. The first of two generators became operational on May 2, 1968 with the other to follow on May 21st.
Broken Bow Lake: Construction began in October 1961, impoundment began in October 1968, and the conservation pool was filled in April 1970. The first power generator became operational in January 1970 with the second following in June.
Robert S. Kerr Lock and Dam 15: Construction began in April 1964, and the lock and dam became operational in December 1970. The four power generating units were placed on line October 5, July 27, September 1, and November 2, 1971, respectively.
Webbers Falls Lock and Dam: Construction began in January 1965, and the lock and dam became operational in December 1970. The three power generating units were placed on line in August, September and November 1973, respectively.
HYDROPOWER GENERATION UNIT STATUS
SWT GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERCONNECTION