Flood Control Act approved 24 July 1946; Project Document, HD 602, 79th Congress, 2d Session.
Location: In Choctaw County approximately seven miles east of the City of Hugo, Oklahoma, 30 miles north of Paris, Texas, and 18 river miles upstream of the Kiamichi's confluence with the Red River.
Purpose: Flood control, water supply, water quality, recreation, and fish and wildlife.
History of Construction: Construction began on 6 September 1968; embankment closure was completed on 29 October 1971; and impoundment of the lake began on 18 January 1974. The conservation pool filled to elevation 404.5 on 12 March 1974.
Type of Structure: The dam is a rolled earth embankment, including the gate-controlled, concrete spillway; is 10,200 feet long; and rises about 101 feet above the streambed. The top width of the embankment is 32 feet. An access road is provided across the embankment and spillway.
Spillway & Outlet Works: The spillway is a gate-controlled, concrete, gravity, ogee weir with six 40- by 50-foot gates and a nonbaffled stilling basin. Discharge at maximum pool (elevation 445.2) is 365,000 cfs. One 48-inch low-flow pipe and one 48-inch water supply pipe are located in the spillway. Bank-full capacity below the dam is 20,000 cfs. Spillway crest elevation is 387.5.
Hydrologic Data: The flood of 1990 filled the flood control pool. The maximum peak inflow of 120,000 cfs occurred on 3 May 1990. During the 1990 flood, the lake crested at elevation 439.96 with a peak release of 35,000 cfs. In December 1971, a peak inflow of 87,060 cfs occurred. The maximum volume of flow past the damsite of 1,549,500 acre-feet occurred from April through June 1957.